Monday, November 3, 2014

Prison for kids and superheros

Happy November! I don't know when that happened... :)
So we had exchanges this week and I went to the area of the Sister Training Leader. Both of us were actually American, so that was an adventure alone. But this real cool thing happened to me. So we went out to work in the morning and I was really surprised because our work was SO GOOD for only two hours. We went home, Sister Larson and I cooked our lunch, we ate, and I started feeling really cold. I just kind of ignored it because that's been happening to me lately if I sit too long in front of the electric fan. So we went out to work again and I felt really, really warm, but I figured it was because it was really hot outside. We were punted at like 5 houses and then we were able to finally teach a few lessons. By the way, I am amazed that neither of us are native speakers (obviously) but the Spirit really does speak all languages. But I just want to talk about the enabling power of the Atonement for a second. I thought I was going to die in the last lesson or two, but i have no doubt I was enabled to teach and to invite them to make changes in their lives because that is what they needed. Turns out, I had a way bad fever. So that was cool, so we went home early, SIster Larson took real good care of me, and I just slept. But I was just amazed that even how I didn't feel like I could do it anymore, that I could. And I realized that I will never, never understand all that Christ went through, but that through our sicknesses and trials we are blessed to experience just a small part of what Christ went through so that our understand of the Atonement can increase.
 
So they definitely celebrate the Day of the Dead thing here since the Philippines was colonized by the Spanish for over 300 years.... they definitely believe they see ghosts and they put candles in front of their houses here so that the souls have a path to travel? Or somthing like that. I don't quite understand everything. But basically that means we don't have anyone to teach because they were all at the cementary! But we did find some people to teach so it worked out.
 
On Friday, we went to a special missionary fireside with Bishop Gerald Causse, 1st Counselor in the Presding Bishopbric. It was a really good meeting and we drove past both of my old areas (it was a really, really long drive). His wife was darling! She told us how missionaries are like superheroes and compared us to Spiderman, how at first when he got his powers he didn't know what to do with it, but after training himself he could climb builiding and shoot webs from his hands with accuracy. Haha she told us not to try to jump off any builidngs, but it's the same for us (and not just for missionaries, for EVERYONE). As we learn to develop teaching skills, or whatever skills it may be, through training and hard work, we can become what we need to be in order to help and save other people! :)
Bishop Causse talked about using time wisely. It was so good and he talked about how short the mission in, especially if we think of the eternal perspective. But I think it's the same way with our lives.We don't really understand how short this life is... so hopefully we are using our time wisely :)
 
Also, one of our less actives was talking to us about how she has a hard time coming to church because she had five really little kids and that the "Prison for Kids" won't take all of them. haha, she was joking but I thought that was a pretty accurate description of the Primary room here. :)
 
Anyway, I love you all and hope you have another great week! :)
xoxo,
Sister Holmes

No comments:

Post a Comment