Sunday, December 29, 2013

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years

Wow! Time sure flies when you are having fun! Missionary work really is so much fun. Sometimes I dread leaving the house (ONLY because I seriously HATE not being able to speak Tagalog) but once we are working I chastise myself for thinking that, because it really is so much fun! :)
It's weird because things that used to be normal seem weird now. Like I was doing my make-up the other day (which was for the first time since I left the MTC) and my eye literally freaked me out. Why? Because it was blue. Seriously. It's so weird to me when I look in the mirror because I do not expect to see anything like me anymore. Which explains all the weird/awkward stares I get. It's fun though. :)
Also the idea of just eating with a fork kind of sounds really hard to me now. In the Philippines, they eat with a spoon in the right hand and a fork in the left (Or my favorite.. no utensils). And i think the other day I tried to eat with just a fork and it was the hardest thing in the whole entire world. So now normal is weird, and weird is normal. Which is a sign to me that I am starting to adjust and the Philippines is starting to feel like home!
Since it's been so busy with the holidays, we werent able to teach much on Christmas Eve or Christmas..soooo we literally just tied ribbons on some Book of Mormons (In Kapampangan, the dialect here) and gave them our as Christmas presents! I hope that will open some doors for us in the future. :) It was really good though.
In one of our areas, we have mostly just a lot of recent converts there. One of the members there was in need of a priesthood blessing really badly and her husband is not a member. The only Melchizedek priesthood holder there is a somewhat recent convert and had never given a blessing before. So guess what we did? We had to teach him how to give a priesthood blessing!! Man, I sure am grateful that I have a dad who holds the priesthood because if not, I would have had no idea how to teach him. We got all the important wording from the white handbook, and we came with him to give the blessing. And he stumbled through the wording a little bit, but once he got into the blessing part, I could feel the spirit so strongly. The power of the priesthood is real. It's from our loving Heavenly Father to help bless His children. And it doesn't just bless the men who hold it, it blesses everyone.
I'm so grateful to be here and I'm so happy for all of the uncomfratble stretching that I'm going though right now. If there are trials in your life now, I encourage you to ponder what you are learning for them. Even though it's hard in the moment, the result will be better than we could ever imagine. We become so much more with our Savior's help than we could on our own.
Mahal ko kayo!!!
Sister Holmes

No comments:

Post a Comment